Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jesus teaching the Trinity

Recently, I've been fairly busy and so my theological reading has slowed. I have been reading a little bit before bed everynight but I usually can't fight sleep very long. I've restarted the Quran (getting all the way through the Introduction!!!) and continued my rereading of the New Testament. Occasionally during lunch or when I have a few minutes not at home, I'll look up and browse some apocryphal readings, such as the Gospel of Thomas. Due to my lack of progress, I don't have much to say today but I figured I should try to post something just to maintain activity. Thus, today's topic doesn't introduce anything new but goes a little deeper into one particular theme on which I've previously touched.

In reading through the Gospels, there are no references to the Holy Trinit and very few references to the Holy Ghost. Additionally, Jesus always seemed very opposed to people worshiping him and directed all such attempts to God the Father.

The Muslim argument that Jesus would've clarified such a major issue is a very compelling one. Bibles will translate a few Old Testament references as "Holy Spirit," some capitalized and others not but even the NIV and NRSV Bibles have only four and five occurrences, respectively, throughout the entire Old Testament. Even the NRSV Gospels have only 25 occurences of the phrase, only 10 of which are spoken by Jesus, the remainder are mostly narration.

Assuming Israel had been even slightly on the right track, I feel like there would've been some mention of the Trinity or the Holy Spirit or Jesus as part of God. Also, if Israel had been so obviously askew, I feel Jesus would've done much more in his ministry to straighten their way.

Truthfully, I think this is my biggest stumbling block with Christianity. There's nothing particular about Muhammad as a person that is so compelling that pulls me toward Islam. I have no problem with the universe containing mysteries. I accept that there are lots of things that I'll never understand and lots of things that mankind can never understand regardless of technological advancements, improved education, and any amount of time. I do have a hard time, however, believing that God would give us so little information, really only a few vague clues, on such a fundamental aspect of Himself.

Now would be a good time for a well-education Christian theologian to step in and enlighten me on all that I've overlooked as I'm not doing very well stewing in my own doubts with my only input from a Saudi Muslim (:-P just kidding, of course. I'm very appreciative of all comments from anyone.) Maybe I'll try soliciting more readers again and perhaps I'll shoot lower, regular priests and pastors as opposed to seminary professors specializing in world religions.

1 comment:

Azooz said...

Hi,

The weird old Saudi Again - I find it hard not to comment on subjects that talk of the Quran.


The blog Islamdom is not an Islamic site by the way, it is run by a very knowlegable Christian (Abu Dauod) who knows more than most about both Christian and Muslim theology. I do not participate much there but recomend it for a balanced opinion.


When you read the Quran, read it out in your normal talking voice, Quran means the recited book - you can whisper it if you prefer or in a public etc.

It is divided into 30 parts, these are so you can pace yourself - one part a day is the average - but try not to read over 7 parts. Contempalte the verses that require thought - and many answers are a few verses down - they all fit perfectly.

Each of the 114 Sowra presents a complete image - these get clearer when you read them a few dozen time - and the images fit together (click) also when you read them often enough - it is why Muslims never get bored of it, the details are forever showing up.

The first page of the first part (called alFatiha) is to be read everytime you read the Quran - it sets the tone, ie it shows what you are reading in light of that page. Muslims read it 17 times a day in the 5 daily prayers

Do not let anything go by, not a single point - question closely and dig, especialy those items that trouble you or seem wrong - the Quran cliams to be a perfect book so let it prove it.

I am always much too verbose on this subject, but the Quran explain itself very well without anything from me, so I will leave you to it.

Peace